Weight loss: Food quality and quantity

Most searched fitness term on Google is weight loss.  It is not surprising at all since obesity is one of the biggest problems of modern society.

Fast food & fast lifestyle are the main causes of this trend, alongside with lack of physical activity and poor nutrition overall.

Today there is thousands of new fitness and nutrition information every day but people have a hard time navigate in that “tips and tricks junkyard”!  What to chose, who to believe, what nutrition plan to follow and so on.

Ironically, the problem is too many pieces of information that confuses people and makes everything look too complicated and unreachable.

No, if you are healthy, you don’t need to eat organic, gluten free, yeast free and “everything” free food to be healthy and fit.

Also, you don’t need to count your calories and eat every 2-3 hours. A great thing about nutrition is its adaptability. You can eat 2 meals or 7 meals a day, you can skip breakfast if you like and eat carbs for dinner and so on. The things that you need to consider are following.

FOOD QUANTITY

Food quantity on daily/weekly basis (balance between energy eaten and energy spent) is crucial for weight maintenance. Math is really simple here: X = energy IN – energy OUT.

Positive number “X”  will lead to weight gain

Negative number “X” will lead to weight loss

A “zero” will lead to weight maintenance

FOOD QUALITY

Food quality is important for your health. While you can eat just Pringles and ice cream all day and still losing weight, it impossible to stay healthy in the long run. Your food needs to be:

High-density  with lots of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and fiber

Fresh and unprocessed

Seasonal as much as possible

Tasty and appealing

80/20 RULE

Threat yourself occasionally with food that you know it is not that healthy but you really like it. The thing is that it is impossible to eat healthy all the time, if you focus on 100% you won’t make it. Instead, eat right 80% of the time and stick to that! Do not bother with the remaining 20%.

 

WEIGHT LOSS TIPS

  1. Watch the amount of food you eat! If something is “healthy” that doesn’t mean you can eat unlimited amounts. Calories from broccoli are equal from calories in ice cream. A calorie surplus is number one cause of weight gain.
  2. Pick high-quality food that is nourishing and makes you full. Studies show that people who tend to eat high density, fresh and unprocessed food have less craving for snacks and fast food. When it is possible, choose seasonal food.
  3. Don’t stress yourself about eating healthy all the time. Stick to 80/20 rule and occasionally enjoy social events, partying, and dinner with your friends.

 

Peace,

Your S4H